Thursday, March 22, 2007

Back to Work!!


I have just completed my third week at SALON ESSENTIALS as a hairstylist. I haven't made any money as yet - but I love the job. The Salon has an entirely different feel than any salon that I have worked in before. Each stylist works as their own boss - we just pay rent on our space - and that seems to diffuse the competetion and general nastiness that happens between stylists at other salons. The salon owner, Sally, also has a great attitude and the environment seems hugely shaped by her. It is hard to leave my boys so often - I have had to shift my perspective about being a mommy. There are benefits and drawbacks to it all. I enjoy not having to tell anybody at all that I am going to the potty and not to open the door or hit anybody while I am in there. But I miss their dope-y from sleep, sweet ways in the morning - and hearing (10 times in a row) "night night mommy, i LOOOOVEE YYYOOOUUU!" at bedtimes.


I forgot how much I loved being a hairstylist. Helping people feel good, not only about their unique character, but the beauty that God has given them on the outside. I only help them see it too. I LOVE that part of my job. It is hard not to color my own hair every week though - to the horror of my husband, who loves me "natural" (natural...what?!?!!?). Anyway I thought I would post my "professional" picture that appears on my business card - thanks to Reeta - so you all can see that I am not always a sweats-clad, make-up from two days ago, frantically runing behind two tornadoes of activity mom. By the way, Hi, Amy.

1 comment:

The Houlton's said...

Hello Friend! Thanks for posting on your blog again. I was so happy to "read" your voice again and see your sweet face. You look really beautiful my friend. I'm glad that you have found hairstyling satisfying. You definetly are gifted at it. I wish I was nearby to give you business. You're my favorite hair stylist ever!! I too am back to my completly natural hair color (some friends have described it as black?!. No one here can believe that I spent about half my life a bleached nearly blond girl.